Buildings Insurance

Who needs it?

If Plumlife manage or part own the freehold of the building you live in, you do not usually need to take out buildings insurance. This is because Plumlife is responsible for arranging and paying for buildings insurance on your home. we recover the cost of the buildings insurance through your monthly service charge. This is typically the case for shared owners living in houses or flats and for leaseholders who own flats.

There may be instances where Plumlife is not the landlord of a building and therefore not responsible for providing buildings insurance, for example a shared ownership apartment in a block owned and managed by a third party. In this case, a third party agent would arrange the insurance.

If you're not sure who provides your buildings insurance, please contact your Property Manager on 0161 447 5050 or contact us.

You will always need to purchase your own contents insurance.

What is covered?

Our buildings insurance covers:

  • Fire, storm, explosion or flood damage to the building
  • Malicious damage
  • Accidental damage  
  • Damage caused by emergency services
  • Subsidence
  • Impact
  • Expenses if you are unable to live in your home for one of the above reasons

How to make a claim

If you want to make a claim under the policy then please contact your Property Manager on 0161 447 5050 or contact us.

If there has been serious damage or loss the insurance company will need to send a loss adjuster to assess the situation before anything can be repaired.


There is an excess to pay on any claims, where there is a claim for a communal area this will be met by the service charge, but for individual property claims this would be met by the homeowner.